“INSPIRATION EXISTS, BUT IT HAS TO FIND US WORKING."

~Pablo Picasso

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tasty Chocolate Pudding (with avocado;) Review

Getting vegetables into your children's mouths can sometimes be a daunting task. I have resorted to pureeing them and adding them to dishes I already make in addition to whatever vegetable and fruit is served.  Shhhhhhh......don't tell your little loved ones. This is not my idea mind you. I came across the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld at a garage sale a summer ago. The recipes are good and I really enjoy knowing my kids are getting more nutrients at each meal. I don't always follow the recipes sometimes I just incorporate pureed carrots, peppers, spinach etc. into whatever we are eating. It's really simple. The most recent one I made was the Chocolate Pudding. I never would have guessed the avocado had no taste in the pudding.  If you would like to be sneaky this is a great after school or after dinner dessert.

Chocolate Pudding

1/4 cup trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread ( I used butter and it still turned out)
1 cup avocado puree
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cornstarch


In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine or butter over low heat. Stir in the avocado puree, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Cook, mashing with a silicone spatula ( I used a whisk, worked good too!)
to smooth out any lumps of avocado, until mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Off the heat, gradually stir in the cornstarch. Serve warm.










I added a dollop of whipping cream made with Stevia on top. Go one step further and use Organic ingredients. You and they will enjoy it!



 If you would like to look for this book you can still find it at Barnes and Noble, Borders, Amazon, Ebay, Half.com or keep an eye out at your local thrift store, Goodwill or garage sale. You never know. I got mine for .50 cents ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment